Committee meeting résumés

Résumé U3A Minutes June 2019

Reports:

Secretary’s Report: AW presented ‘Years served by Committee Members June 2019’ to the committee.

Chair’s Report: JA reported that Sarah Lister’s book would be with the publishers June/July.  JA is arranging publicity with U3A TAM.   She had received an email regarding car parking at the Cricket Club for a theatre trip, which was not a U3A event and which is no longer permitted.  All U3A parking to be at the Rugby Club.

Group Co-ordinator’s Report: DB reported that all groups were carrying on next year apart from Intermediate French and German. The Card and Spanish groups were full. A new leader may be required. The Retro Stretch and Tone group was cancelled.  A new leader would be required for the Exercise group.  Maybe advertise for one.  DB to have a chat with Gillian. A new group – Garden Visits – would commence in September, the leader being Chris Benn.

Membership Secretary’s Report: KW reported that there were now 403 members.  Some had joined with PayPal and he would write to them. He had put new membership documents on the Website and asked the committee members to check them. Permission for photographs was covered in the Data Protection Policy. It is essential that WestNet members first check that the group they wish to join has vacancies and then complete the membership form and write ‘WestNet member’ on it.

Webmaster’s Report: Richard reported that the two websites were now up and running.  He would set up two informal seminars for committee members and group leaders to be held at the Victoria Hall or FMH which would take place week commencing 17 June.  Subject – email accounts and website.       

WestNet/Settle Treasure Trail Sub-Committee Report: JA reported that 50 members had booked.  She asked that the Lamberts printing invoice and catering invoice me made out to WestNet. 

Succession: JA to discuss interest expressed by another member at the monthly meeting. JP said he might have found a secretary and would report to next meeting.

Posters for Monthly Meetings: JB reported that Wendy was retiring. She would liaise with the person taking over.  SS would design posters for August, September and October. It was agreed that there were enough volunteers to distribute the posters each month.

 

AOB: KM presented the speaker programme for the next year.  It was agreed a good mix and Kath was thanked. KW said it had been a pleasure to take 13 members of the East Suffolk U3A Geology Group around the Malham, Ribblehead and other areas over three days.

CT reminded members that she had the boards for St Alkelda display and asked if they could keep them for a while longer. It was agreed they should be returned for the beginning of August for our use at Open Morning and AGM.

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

Résumé U3A Minutes May 2019

Reports:

Secretary’s Report: as per Agenda. JP to sign the Annual Return.

Chair’s Report: JA reported that Ann Harding had cancelled the proposed meeting at the Victoria Hall due to her holiday arrangements. AW to re-arrange for noon on 13 June

2019

YAHR: KW attended the YAHR AGM on 29 April in Leeds. His report was distributed and contained: amendments to the YAHR constitution, the ‘Purpose of U3A’, succession of officers and communication with members.

WESTNET: JA reported that so far 14 ‘out-of-Settle’ bookings had been made for the Midsummer History Trail. It was suggested that letters be sent to Group Leaders asking then to remind group members. Also, to display a poster at the Booths Promotion.

Treasurer’s Report:  JP said the Examiner had given notice that he would be prepared to audit the account to the end of this financial year and then retire. A new Examiner would have to be found for 2019/20.  Following a meeting with KW with regard to PayPal payments for membership subscriptions they came up with three ways of dealing with the problem (see JPs report attached to agenda) it was agreed that member continue to pay at the same rate but be encouraged to make donations. It was proposed by KW and seconded by CT that Settle District U3A cease using the PayPal payment method with effect from the new financial year.

Group Co-ordinator’s Report: DB reported that Alison Tyas would no longer lead the German conversation group and also that Ray Jones would no longer lead the French conversation group with effect from the new year 2019/2020.  It had been suggested that a new group be started – ‘Garden Visits’ and JH and DB to meet with the proposer to take further.

Membership Secretary’s Report: KW reported that there were 396 members and that this would soon be 400 – the highest number ever.

KW had forwarded the following documents to committee members:

  • Legitimate Interest Assessment – U3A Membership
  • Legitimate Interest Assessment – Next of Kin
  • Settle District U3A Privacy Policy
  • Modified Settle District U3A Data Protection Policy
  • Modified Settle District U3A Equality and Diversity Policy

It was agreed that emails were considered to be letters.

The five documents were approved and would be put on our website. A vote of thanks was given to KW for all his hard work with these documents.

KW reported that he had purchased a new computer and it was agreed that the old XP computer be passed on to a worthy cause.

Webmaster’s Report: Richard gave an excellent demonstration on the new website he had set up. He suggested that the committee members try it out and also that he arranges tutorials for them and for group leaders.

WestNet/Settle Treasure Trail Sub-Committee Report: DB said the Trail had been tested again. Although 14 bookings had been taken non were from Settle District. It was agreed to encourage members to attend.

Induction Training for New Committee Members for September/October JH said that CC, JB and herself were meeting again to finalise the package.

Succession: JA again said that we should be getting members interested and to be encouraging them to sit in on committee meetings. It was felt that personal contact was best. KW said that following the YAHR AGM Sue Stoker had said we needed to be “firm” about it. It was felt we had been clear in communications with membership about the need for Committee Members and Officers. JA had had one clear expression of interest and had another to follow up.

AW was asked to produce a poster for the Thursday monthly meeting asking members to consider becoming a committee member.

Policy for Loaning U3A Equipment: It was agreed that U3A equipment should not be loaned out unless there was an emergency and that the committee agree the loan and that a committee member be in attendance. KW asked that an up-to-date “Equipment Booking” area be set up on the new website.

Newsletter: The Newsletter was discussed and finalised with CT to add a paragraph about a proposed summer trip on Tuesday, 11th June 2019 to Brantwood, Coniston, home of John Ruskin, organised by SS.

Feedback from Group Leaders Lunch: It was agreed that all group leaders had enjoyed the lunch. DB was thanked for her hospitality.

Publicity: Promotion at Booths Supermarket on Friday, 10 and Saturday, 11 May. AW organising; CC had purchased a roll-up banner which everyone thought was excellent;  JB’s poster was approved.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

Résumé U3A Minutes April 2019

Reports:

Secretary’s Report:  as per Agenda. KW said that the TAM statement didn’t tally with his membership figures. JP to sign the Annual Return.                                                              

Chair’s Report:  As per attachment. JP to complete Charity Commission form following BP’s resignation.  KW to attend the YAHR AGM on 29 April in Leeds.           

Membership Secretary’s Report: KW reported that there were 394 members and one pending membership; of these 16 were non-payers (WestNet, Associates). Gift Aid to claim was £869. PayPal:  charges 41p per single membership and 61p per couple. The GDPR Lawful Basis documents received were complex.  There were five documents and it was agreed that KW adapt them for our requirements. Beacon:  292 groups UK use Beacon which is 45% of the total membership. Frank Bailey heading up a group providing training guides and improving log-in plus treasury functions.

Webmaster’s Report: Richard had sent his apologies and wrote that he would have the Website requests done by the end of the day.  The new web site was ready to demo. Can do this any time after 22nd April at your convenience.  It was suggested that this would be convenient at the next committee meeting on 06 May.  JA to contact RH to discuss the website issues. It was also agreed that only the secretary and the group leaders contact the Webmaster to put information on the website and that individuals should not do so.

WestNet/Settle Treasure Trail Sub-Committee Report: DB said the flyers/posters for this event have been circulated to the relevant U3As and the Trail had been tested and ready for a second version.  JA said that KM and herself had been round the Trail.  She had mentioned the Trail at the Quiz night and six people had booked.

Induction Training for New Committee Members for September/October JH reported on the informative pack she was producing and that CC, JB and herself would report back to the next meeting.                                     

Newsletter: The Newsletter was discussed and finalised. SS said that she would organise a Summer Trip for all members, to take place in June and suggested Brantwood, Coniston.  This was agreed and CT to put notice in the Newsletter.

Arrangements for Group Leaders Lunch: AW gave her apologies for the Lunch and CT said she would make soup.  JA said she had received 16 acceptances so far.

Publicity: JB asked for clarification of her role as Publicity Officer.

Promotion at Booths Supermarket on Friday, 10 and Saturday, 11 May. JP to arrange for 100 updated Group Programmes to be printed.  SS and AW to find newer group photographs for Promotion Boards.  AW to organise volunteers for the two days.

It was agreed to purchase a roll-up banner and CC agreed to design the banner and order.

AW had emailed members on behalf of JB and asked for comments on her draft poster. JP said it should be in portrait.  He had produced one that was considered very satisfactory.

Succession: JA again said that succession should be put at the start of the agenda next month. Innovative ideas were required.  It was agreed that KW send an email to all

 

 

 

 

 

 

Résumé U3A Minutes March 2019

Reports: Secretary’s Report:  as per attachment. The email received from Ann Harding, VH, was discussed.  JA had spoken to AH and a meeting had been arranged between AH and JA, GC, JP and KW at noon, following the monthly meeting on 09 May.

Sarah Lister (U3A Family History Group) arrived at 9.30 am and spoke further on the Stories in Stone Project (as related in the Secretary’s report above).  She had received the formal grant offer from Stories in Stone (copied to the committee). In the information, it confirms that payment will be received within 4 – 6 weeks of the claim.   She is hoping to complete the book by the end of June so the payments would be in July, if the printers are still able to stick to their 10-day estimate. 

Chair’s Report:  As per attachment. The Chair’s report was noted

Group Co-ordinator’s Report: DB reported that the Exercise and Circle Dancing groups were going ahead with a temporary leader.  The issue with a new member of a group who has health and mobility issues had been resolved.

Membership Secretary’s Report:  KW reported that there were 388 members and 2 potential new members.  He had sent membership numbers to TAM.  He had received a notification from National Office regarding the management of the Beacon system.  An increase in fee payment per member would be from 50p to £1 wef 01 April 2019.  This was due to the rise in usage and the need to employ an IT professional as well as the volunteers.  He was having problems with Beacon emails sent to a certain member and suggested contact should be made by telephone.                   

Webmaster’s Report: Richard had sent his apologies and wrote the following.  A summary for the meeting.  All requests for content uploads of me have been done. A new web site up and ready to demonstrate but need to pick a domain name in order to complete its commissioning. So, we need a name.  We can reuse ‘settledistrictu3a.org.uk’ in which case I will have to negotiate with David H and Frank W. There is a nominal cost for the name and somewhere to ‘host it’ – likely to be about £10/year – just the cost of doing business. Alternatively, we could get another one – what name do we want?  Emails etc, follow when we have the domain name – chair@settledistrictu3a.net for example Remember that the existing name is used for other purposes and so if we move, we will all have to move. For example – settledistrictu3a.netsettledistrictu3a.info available at £10/year. Have done some work for Les Chandler to maintain an archive of old content so that it is not lost – …. working on doing the same with ‘posters’ as the material is all on the site, just not visible which seems a shame given the effort that has gone into its production.

Richard’s points were discussed, and it was agreed that it was preferable to use settledistrictu3a.org.uk but if that was too complicated then leave the decision to Richard (with a link from the old to the new address).    It was agreed that it was good to have both posters on the website and that the Publicity Officer, JB, send the posters to Richard.                        

WestNet/Settle Treasure Trail Sub-Committee Report: DB said the flyers/posters for this event would be ready shortly to circulate to all WestNet members and put on our website and notice board.  Numbers would be limited to 70/80 and the cut-off date was the beginning of June.

Induction Training for New Committee Members for September/October: CC, JH, BP and JB to follow up.  To take place between the AGM and the first committee meeting in October.

Equality, Diversity and Risk Assessment: KW to amend the Craven U3A Equality and Diversity Policy for Settle District U3A. JH reported on email received from National U3A (document attached to committee papers) and said that Settle U3A had the correct approach regarding accommodating disabled members. It was agreed that the safety of the group and the individual was paramount. It was also agreed that the U3A PLUS leaflet ‘A U3A Guide to Accessibility and Inclusion’ was very good. 

Publicity: It was agreed to promote Settle District U3A and GC to book Booths Supermarket for 17/18 May, or 31/01 May/June. It was agreed to look into purchasing a Settle District U3A banner.  GC to price. AW had emailed members on behalf of JB and asked for comments on her draft poster.

Succession: JA again said that succession was now an urgent matter.  AW suggested inviting the interested new members to attend a committee meeting to see procedures (either individually or in pairs). It was also suggested to put a request on the website.

AOB: AW mentioned an email she had received from Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven NHS regarding a questionnaire on wheelchairs and orthotics.  She would copy this to members.  

KW said he had been approached by the East Anglian U3A Geology Group.  They were staying in the Malhamdale area on 12/13/14 and 15 May and asked if we could provide a speaker and guide.  KW said he would do this and was thanked for his very generous offer.                                                                                       

 

________________________________________________________________________